- Moong Dal (Split Green Gram) (1 cup)
- Grated Coconut (3/4 cup)
- Chopped Onion
- Green Chilies (1-2)
- Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (1 1/2 tsp)
- Curry Leaves (1 spring)
- Ghee (1 tbsp)
- Red chilies (2-3)
- Coconut oil (1/2 tbsp)
- Roast the moong dal in a pan for about 5 minutes and let it cool and then wash them properly.
- Transfer it into a pressure cooker, add 2 cups of water to it. (Maintain a 1:2 dal to water ratio). Add a turmeric powder and salt to taste and half teaspoon of coconut oil. Cook it for 2-3 whistles or till the dal is cooked very well.
- Remove the pressure cooker off the heat and let it depressurize. Then open the lid and give it a nice stir.
- Combine the coconut, cumin seeds (1/2 tsp), green chilies. Add some water to grind it into a very fine paste.
- Mix the paste into the dal and keep it on a low flame. Add hot water based on how consistent you want the dal to be.
- In a hot pan, add the ghee and let it melt and then add the remaining cumin seeds, curry leaves and the red chilies and fry it for a minute and then add it into the dal and mix it well.