For the soup:
- Noodles (Any flat noodles will do. If using long noodles, break them in half before adding them to the dish)
- Onion (1 medium)
- Tomatoes (2 or 3 medium; coarsely chopped)
- Garlic (2-3 cloves; finely chopped)
- Cilantro (use as per preference)
- Spinach (2 – 3 cups)
- Kidney beans (1 can; drained and rinsed)
- Chickpeas (1 can; drained and rinsed)
- Tomato Paste (2 tablespoons)
- Turmeric (2 teaspoons)
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Dried Mint (1/2 tablespoon)
- Ground Coriander (1 teaspoon)
- Water (5-6 cups)
For the topping:
- Plain whole milk yogurt
- Minced cilantro
- Lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- Heat up oil in a pot and add the onions. Sauté the onions on medium heat until golden brown. Add the chopped garlic and let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes for to 4-5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir for a minute.
- Next add salt, ground coriander and black pepper and continue cooking for a couple of minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for couple of minutes. Then add the kidney beans and chickpeas. and give it all a stir.
- Add 3-4 cups of water, then add the noodles into mixture. Increase the heat to medium high to bring the mixture to a boil and stir occasionally. Cook uncovered for about 10-15 minutes until the noodles are tender and the soup has become thick. Add more water to adjust consistency.
- Place a pan on low heat and add some oil. Once hot add crushed dried mint and cook for 10 – 15 seconds. Add the mixture into the soup and give it good stir. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if required.
- For the topping, whisk plain yogurt with cilantro and lemon juice together in a small bowl.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped cilantro, the yogurt mixture topping and lemon wedges.