I first saw this dish in a Korean drama “Let’s Eat”. The series promotes Korean cuisine at it’s very best. Godeungeo-mujorim is basically braised mackerel and radish in a spicy soy broth.
- Mackerel (2 lbs gutted and cleaned; chop of the heads and cut in to 2 inch pieces)
- Daikon Radish (2 lbs peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces)
- Soy sauce (1/2 cup)
- Red chili flakes (1/2 cup; use less if you want less spicy)
- Gochujang (1 tsp)
- Onion (1 roughly chopped)
- Garlic (10 – 12 finely chopped)
- Ginger (1 inch finely chopped)
- Green Onions (3 – 4 roughly chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
In a pot, add couple of tablespoons of oil; once hot add onion and cook till it’s translucent. Then add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute. Add the radish and cook for a couple of minutes and then add the fish to the pot.
Add soy sauce, red chili flakes and 2 cups of water and bring it to boil. Add gochujang and let it cook for 15- 20 minutes on medium flame and occasionally basting the fish pieces with the broth.
Add the green onions and cook it for another five minutes. Serve it with rice and kimchi on the sides.