- Shrimp (1 lb)
- Onion (2-3 medium-sized thinly sliced)
- Tomato (2 medium-sized chopped)
- Ginger Garlic Paste (1 1/2 tbsp)
- Coriander Powder (3 tbsp)
- Chili Powder (1 tbsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Asafoetida Powder (Hing) (1/4 tsp)
- Curry Leaves (1 Spring)
- Malabar Tamarind (2-3 piece)
- Cumin Seeds (1 tsp)
- Salt (To Taste)
- In a bowl, season the shrimp with salt and add 1 tablespoon of coriander powder, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and asafoetida powder. Add the curry leaves and the Malabar tamarind. Keep this aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Add oil in a pan and once the oil is heated up; add the cumin seeds.
- Add the onions and let it cook till the onions have turned translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and let it cook for 30 seconds and then add the tomatoes.
- Let it cook till the tomatoes have become mushy and the oil starts coming up, then add the remaining coriander and turmeric powder, also add the chili powder and let it cook for a minute.
- Now, add the shrimp into the pan and mix it all very well. Cover the pan and let it cook for 5 minutes till the shrimp oozes out the liquid and then add a cup of water and cover and cook for another 10 – 15 minutes. Add water to adjust consistency and also check for seasoning and add salt accordingly.