Ingredients for Chicken Handi:
- Chicken Breast (Boneless & Skinless; 2 lbs cut into small cubes)
- Ginger & Garlic Paste (1 tablespoon)
- Cumin (1 teaspoon)
- Onion (1 large chopped)
- Tomatoes (4 small chopped)
- Turmeric Powder (1/4 teaspoon)
- Chili Powder (1 tablespoon)
- Coriander Powder (1/2 tablespoon)
- Yogurt (2 tablespoon)
- Chicken Stock (1/4 cup; alternatively use water)
- Garam Masala (1/2 teaspoon)
- Black Pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
- Kasuri Methi (roasted and powdered; 1 teaspoon)
- Green Chili (1 finely sliced)
- Ginger (1 inch; julienne)
- Heavy cream/Fresh Cream (4 tablespoons)
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
Ingredients for Coconut Rice:
- Basmati Rice (2 cups; washed and soaked for 15 minutes)
- Curry Leaves (5-10 leaves)
- Green Chilies (2-3 slit)
- Onion (1; thinly sliced)
- Coconut (1/2 coconut shredded; optional)
- Coconut milk (2 cups)
- Mustard seeds (1/2 teaspoon)
- Bay leaves (2 leaves)
- Star Anise (1 piece)
- Cardamom (3 pieces)
- Cloves (5 pieces)
- Coconut Oil (if you don’t have, you can use vegetable oil/ ghee)
Directions for Chicken Handi:
In a pan add some oil and bring it to heat and then add 1 tablespoon of ginger & garlic paste. Saute it for 30 seconds on low heat and then add the chicken pieces. Season with salt and cook on high heat for 4 – 5 minutes. Once the chicken is turns white, set it aside into a bowl with all the juices from the pan.
In the same pan add some oil and once hot, add cumin seeds and once it crackles add the chopped onions. Saute it for 5-7 minutes until light brown.
Add the chopped tomatoes into the pan, and continue cooking on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until the tomatoes are mushy.
At this point add the ground spices (chili, turmeric and coriander) and salt and give it a stir and continue cooking for a couple of minutes. Now, add the chicken back into the pan with any of the juices and mix it well and continue cooking till the oil separates.
Lower the heat and add the yogurt and stir it and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Now add chicken stock and cover and cook for 10 -12 minutes on low flame.
Add the garam masala, black pepper and kasuri methi and cook for a minute. Then add the green chilies and ginger and mix it all together.
Add the cream and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes on low heat and finally add the cilantro.
Directions for Coconut rice:
In a pan heat coconut oil, and then add the mustard seeds. Once they crackle add the star anise, bay leaves, cardamom, and cloves. Roast them for a couple of minutes on low heat.
Add the curry leaves and the slit green chilies and cook for 30 seconds and then add the sliced onions. Season it with some salt and cook until the onions turn translucent.
Add the coconut and give it a mix and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Drain excess water from the rice and add it into the pan and stir it well. Add the coconut milk and 2 cups of water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or till the rice is cooked all the way through on medium flame.
Remove the lid and give it a good stir once.