- Chicken Thighs (8 pieces; bone-in and skin-on)
- Aubergine/Eggplant (1; diced)
- Dates (12-15; pitted and sliced)
- Garlic (3 teaspoons; minced)
- Ginger (1 1/2 teaspoon; ground)
- Cumin (4 teaspoons; ground)
- Onion (1; diced)
- Orange (1; zest & juice)
- Harissa paste (6 teaspoons)
- Basmati Rice (2 cups)
- Chicken Stock (5 cups)
- Pistachios (15 grams/0.5 ounce; crushed)
- Olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
Bring the chicken stock to a boil.
Put the rice into a sieve and wash it in running water until the water runs clear. Tip it into an ovenproof dish.
Add the onions, aubergine, dates, garlic, 3 teaspoons of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, juice and zest of orange and 4 teaspoons of harissa paste and some salt and pepper and toss around to mix.
Season the chicken pieces with remaining harissa paste, ground cumin, ground ginger, salt and pepper and place them skin side up.
Once the stock has boiled add it to the pan and drizzle some olive oil. Cook in the oven, uncovered, for 40 – 60 minutes. The top should be golden and the chicken cooked through.
Sprinkle on the crushed pistachio nuts.