- Jackfruit (4 lbs)
- Onion (1; sliced)
- Garlic (2-3 cloves; finely chopped)
- Cumin Powder (1 tablespoon)
- Chili Powder (1/2 tablespoon)
- Paprika Powder (1 teaspoon)
- Dijon Mustard (1 teaspoon; you can use regular mustard)
- Coconut Amino (1 tablespoon; you can use Worcestershire sauce)
- Vegetable Stock (2 cups; like always if times are tough use water)
- Black Pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Salt (to taste)
- Brown Sugar (if using raw jackfruit; 2 tablespoons)
- BBQ Sauce (optional; to taste)
1. It’s best to use raw jackfruit/semi-ripe ones.
2. Jackfruit usuaully gives out a sap especially the raw ones which is super sticky. Before cutting open the jackfruit apply some oil on both sides of the blades. Applying some oil on the palm of your hands will avoid the sap from sticking to your hands.
3. Cut open the jackfruit and take out the pods, discarding the white strings. Make an incision in the pods and remove the seed and the inner layering. The seed can be used for making fries so you can save it for later.
4. I have never used canned jackfruit, so I am unsure on the cooking-time, and how it would turn out. If you decide to use canned let me know how it turns out in the comments
In a pan, add some oil, once hot add the chopped garlic and sliced onions.
Cook till the onions turn translucent. Add the jackfruit to the pan, give it a stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add all the spices and stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the vegetable stock. Cover the pan and simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350oF/175oC.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread out the cooked jackfruit.
Place it in the oven and bake for 90 minutes.
Optional Step: If you wish to use BBQ sauce, feel free to transfer the jackfruit into a bowl and add your favorite bbq sauce as per your taste.
Pile up the bbq jackfruit over slider bun along with coleslaw (not required) and enjoy.